Updated May 23rd, 2020
At this time all of our year-round farmers’ market remain OPEN including the Downtown, Westside and Live Oak markets. The opening dates for the Felton and Scotts Valley markets have been POSTPONED until the first week of June – the Felton Market opens on June 2nd and the Scotts Valley Market opens on June 6th. All open markets are offering a Market Match Double-Up Program for the month of May. Felton and Scotts Valley will offer the Double-Up in June! All markets offer a Senior Shopping Period the 30 minutes prior to standard market hours:
Downtown Market: 12:30-1:00pm Wednesdays
Westside Market: 8:30-9:00am Saturdays
Live Oak: 8:30-9:00am Sundays
Certified farmers’ markets are considered essential food outlets and fall under the same category as grocery stores in the official ORDER by Santa Cruz County instated on March 31st and extended on April 30th in response to continued concerns regarding the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
The health and wellness of the markets, farmers and the community at large are of the utmost importance to us. We have implemented policies at our markets that provide for a safe experience including mitigating cross-contamination risks. Market managers will be diligent in checking that all vendors adhere to health and safety standards.
It is important that markets remain open to provide a channel for customers to access fresh healthy food needed for a healthy immune system, and a safe, healthy avenue for vendors to sell their wares. We are fortunate in that the market benefits from sunlight’s natural disinfectant powers and an open-air, low risk environment. We will continue to update you as we pay close attention to the changing landscape and respond appropriately with community health in mind. We ask for your support as we implement the following changes:
- All vendors are to use gloves and face coverings/masks.
- All vendors are required to have hand-washing stations and to wash hands frequently.
- All sampling of fruits, vegetables and other foods is suspended.
- No seating or tables will be offered.
- No bike valet offered.
- The music area and kids zone will be suspended.
- Additional hand washing stations will be provided at each market.
- Market staff will be implementing and enforcing visual guides and infrastructure for social distancing.
- Please stay home if you aren’t feeling well.
- Wear a face covering/mask to the markets. This is a County of Santa Cruz ORDER.
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth (especially after handling money).
- Practice physical distancing of six feet from any other person in the market space – respect the infrastructure we have created.
- Only touch what you purchase.
- Wash your hands often and for a minimum of 20 seconds. Wash often and ALWAYS before touching your face.
Our farmers’ markets are a pivotal part of maintaining access to fresh food within our community’s food system and are more important now than ever. Your support and compliance with health protocol is so important and we thank you for all of your efforts.