Whole Grilled Fava Beans
- 1 pound small, tender fava beans in the pod
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- ¼ cup grape seed oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Contributed by: Louisa Shafia, The New Persian Kitchen
- To remove the strings on either side of the fava bean, cut off the stem with a paring knife and pull it gently down one side of the pod; most of the thick string should come off. Do the same on the other side.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the garlic, thyme, oil, and vinegar. Add the favas, season with the salt and pepper, and toss well to coat.
- Prepare a hot grill.
- Place the favas on the grill in a single layer, in batches if necessary. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, basting often with the marinade. The pods will char and become soft. Turn them over and cook on the second side for 6 to 8 minutes. Test a pod to see if it’s chewy and if the beans inside are tender. Transfer to a plate and serve warm.