Soy-Braised Short Ribs With Shiitakes
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil or Bacon grease, divided
- 4 lb. cross-cut beef short ribs (flanked style) about 1 ½” thick, cut into 2-bone pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¾ lb. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 bunch scallions, whites chopped, greens thinly sliced, divided
- 1 1” piece peeled ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (or more) beef, chicken or pork stock
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup dry sake
- ¼ cup (packed) brown sugar
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 oz. wide ride noodles, cooked according to a package directions
Contributed by: Chris LaVeque of El Sachichero
Source: Adapted from Bon Appetit January 2012
- Place a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 325 degrees.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp. oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season short ribs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, cook short ribs, reducing heat as needed to avoid overbrowning, until brown on all sides, 10-12 minutes per batch.
- Transfer short ribs to a plate; drain all but 1 tbsp. dripping from pot.
Blackberry Gin Fizz
Blood Orange Margaritas