Roasted Vegetable Chowder – Vegan + Gluten-Free
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 medium gold potatoes, scrubbed, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed, chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower pieces
- 5-6 plum tomatoes, halved, seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 quart of organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
Contributed by: Karina
Serves 4 as dinner, 6 as appetizer
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine the onion, garlic cloves, gold and sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower and tomatoes in a roasting pan and toss with the olive oil, fennel and thyme. Season with sea salt and fresh pepper, to taste.
- Add about a cup of the broth and roast the vegetables for about 45 to 50 minutes, until they are tender. Stir at least once during roasting.
- When the veggies are roasted, pour the rest of the broth into a soup pot and bring to a high simmer.
- Add the roasted vegetables (including any liquid and all the bits and pieces from the pan). Cover the soup pot and simmer gently for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup (don't have an immersion blender? Find one here).
- Add the coconut milk, stir and taste for seasoning adjustments, and warm through gently. Add more liquid if your soup is thicker than you prefer; if it is too thin, cook a little longer to reduce the liquid.