Favorite Gluten-Free Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium red or sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, stemmed, diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded, cored, diced
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, seeded, cored, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into coins
- 2 cups butternut or banana squash, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 2 cups gluten-free broth
- 1 28-oz.can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can pinto, black or white beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free curry or chili powder, or to taste
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime juice, to taste
- Hot red pepper flakes, if desired, for more heat
- Fresh lime wedges to brighten the flavor
- Fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
- A dab of sour cream or Greek yogurt, if desired
We always improvise our chili and no two recipes are ever the same, but this is an approximation of this week’s recipe. (Sometimes I’ll add sausage. Pieces of organic free-range chicken or turkey would also work. Vegans- use vegetable broth and garnish with chopped herbs, scallions or crumbled corn chips.)
Contributed by: Karina
- Pour the olive oil into a slow cooker or Crock Pot. Add the garlic and onion and stir to coat. Add in the remaining ingredients. Break apart the tomatoes a bit. Cook on low or high according to the manufacturer’s instruction for your particular make and model.
- Go do something creative. Dance. Read. Draw with crayons.
- Before serving, taste for seasoning adjustments- add a bit of raw organic agave nectar to tone down the heat. Add lime juice to brighten the flavors.
- Omnivores add your favorite cooked organic sausage, browned grass fed organic ground beef, or cooked free-range organic turkey or chicken pieces, if you like.
- Serve with wedges of Sweet Potato Cornbread or New Irish Soda Bread with Millet.
- Kiss your favorite person.
Blackberry Gin Fizz
Blood Orange Margaritas