Cabbage and Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 head green cabbage (of savoy), cored and chopped
- 6-8 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 8-12 ounces sausage (Try a spicy variety)
- 10 ounces peas
- Additional parsley for garnish
Contributed by: Santa Cruz private chef Jonathan Miller
- Heat the oil or butter and saute the onion and celery until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the parsley for a minute, then add the cabbage. Toss in some salt and cook, stirring, until the cabbage has wilted down, about 6-8 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a simmer, and cook slowly for 30 minutes or so.
- While the cabbage simmers, cut the sausage into half moon slices and brown in a skillet. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, then add the mushrooms and saute until they are softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Return the sausage to the skillet with the peas and set aside until the cabbage finishes simmering.
- Add sausage-mushroom-pea mixture to the soup and warm through. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary, then serve warm with additional parsley for garnish.