Barley Risotto with Merguez Sausage and Peppers
- 1/2 pound Merguez sausage
- 2 red peppers
- 2 orange peppers
- 1/4 C olive oil, plus extra for coating peppers
- 2 Tbl unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 pound pearl barley
- 1 C red wine
- 1 pint pork stock
- salt & pepper
- 3 Tbl Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided in half
- 1 Tbl parsley, chopped
Contributed by: Chef/Owner Ali Barker
Source: Recipe adapted from Bistro on the Boulevard St. Joseph, MI
- Bake the Merguez in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, coat the peppers in olive oil and bake them in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove the peppers and place in a paper bag, or bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap. When cool, peel the skin, remove seeds and julienne the peppers. Reserve. Chop the cooked Merguez into small pieces. Reserve.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom 4 quart saucepan over high heat for 1 minute. Add the butter. When the butter has completely melted, add the shallots and garlic and sweat them without browning for about 1 minute. Add the barley and stir until it is completely coated with oil and butter. Reduce the heat and add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.
- Proceed to add the pork stock in 1/3 cup increments, stirring after each addition until absorbed. The barley will increase about three times in size. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the sausage and the peppers and half the cheese. Divide the risotto into 6 warmed bowls and garnish with remaining cheese and chopped parsley.
Blackberry Gin Fizz
Blood Orange Margaritas